Date: Sunday 10th January 2021
Venue: Stamford Bridge
Kick-off: 13:30 GMT
After taking a battering from City last week, today’s lunchtime game sees us up against Morecambe in the FA Cup third round.
A chance for us to get a win and some goals again you might think? Well that’s a dangerous mindset if our players go out thinking like that, ask Bradford. The fact is, with just one win from their last seven games, Chelsea can’t take anything for granted right now.
The visitors, coincidentally the second side we’ve faced in succession who’ve had a recent covid outbreak, are in decent form in the league and have already equalled their best ever run in the competition by getting to the third round. They’ll no doubt feel they’ve got a chance given our current form and they’ll also have absolutely nothing to lose, so the pressure is all on us – but what’s new.
Going into today’s game, Chelsea Manager, Frank Lampard says “I don’t think there was a season I played at this club, for all the success we had over the years, where we didn’t have difficult moments. I’m the first one that has to be positive and get excited about the fact that losing games is the biggest chance to improve in football. When you’re a squad that’s growing and young and new – with players coming in – those are the moments that test them and make them better.”
Morecambe manager Derek Adams meanwhile, says “You’ve got to understand the opposition. They are talented, they have spent a great deal of money in taking in the players they have. But our players have to appreciate the skill that they do have. They’ll all be really excited to go to Stamford Bridge and play. So, on the day, they have to stick to the gameplan, and then they will obviously get opportunities in the game. When those opportunities come along, it’s how clinical can they be in front of goal.”
For Chelsea, N’Golo Kante, Andreas Christensen (knee) and Reece James (hamstring) are all out.
For Morecambe, after their Covid outbreak, they now have a fully fit squad.
CHELSEA (Possible line-up): Kepa; Azpilicueta, Rudiger, Zouma, Emerson; Kovacic, Jorginho, Gilmour; Havertz, Giroud, Hudson-Odoi
MORECAMBE (Possible line-up): Halstead; Mellor, Davis, Lavelle, Hendrie; Songo’o; Slew, Phillips, Wildig, Gomes; Stockton
CURRENT FORM (ALL)
- This is the first game between Chelsea and Morecambe.
- Morecambe have reached the third round for the fourth time, losing on each of the previous three occasions without scoring a goal.
- Chelsea have progressed from their third-round tie in each season since 1997-98.
- This is Morecambe’s second FA Cup tie against top-flight opposition.
Sportsmole: Chelsea 5-0 Morecambe
- About on
- ‘Proving football is a game of minds’, ‘composure and intelligence’ – How some Chelsea fans reacted to Billy Gilmour’s full premier league debut on
- Billy Gilmour to start, Marcos Alonso in midfield – Predicted injury hit Chelsea lineup (4-3-3) for the visit of Everton – Premier League on
- Abraham at the double – Chelsea striker scoops premier league player of the year awards on
- Updated: Could former Chelsea and Liverpool striker return to Stamford Bridge? on